Lamb, Herb & Vegetable Casserole
1kg lamb neck pieces, trimmed
15ml ground cumin
5ml ground ginger
30ml olive oil
1 red onion, peeled and sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
45ml cake flour
45ml tomato paste
500ml lamb or chicken stock
Salt and black pepper
5 sprigs fresh thyme
2 carrots, peeled, halved, thickly sliced
3 celery stalks, thickly sliced
6-8 yellow patty pans, halved, optional
125g frozen peas
220g Tastic Parboiled Rice, cooked (approx. 600g cooked weight), keep warm
45ml fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
15ml fresh coriander, chopped
- Toss the lamb, cumin, ginger and paprika together. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the meatballs for 2-3 minutes, per side, or until golden. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish and brown the lamb, in batches, until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Fry the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in the tomato paste, stock and salt and pepper.
- Return the lamb to the casserole and add the thyme leaves. Cover and bake for 1 hour.
- Add the carrots and celery and bake for another 35-45 minutes, or until the lamb is tender.
- Stir in the patty pans and peas and cook for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and coriander and serve hot, with Tastic Parboiled Rice.